Sunday, March 19, 2017

REVIEW: BROWSINGS BY MICHAEL DIRDA

Published by Pegasus, 2015. Hardcover, 336 pgs
Goodreads Description

    A nice little collection of essays I found while "browsing" in my library. Ha! While I know nothing of Michael Dirda, I liked his bookish observations. He recommended reading this in small chunks instead of straight through. I didn't listen, but don't feel like it affected my enjoyment.
      My favorites? His small press recommendations, odes to more obscure titles, and adventures in thrift stores. There was even an essay titled "Charlottesville"- which was an extra delight since that's my hometown! The conclusion of this book felt satisfying and complete, like you'd been on a journey with him in his time with The American Scholar publication: "I just metaphorically saunter along, whistling a happy tune, and hope that my effusions turn out to be mildly entertaining." They were.


No comments:

Post a Comment