Thursday, March 2, 2017

REVIEW: WHEN GOD WAS A RABBIT BY SARAH WINMAN

Published by Headline (an Hachette UK Company), 2011. Paperback, 341 pgs.
Goodreads Description

       I'd heard of this book in passing, and was utterly delighted to receive it in a blind book order I placed with Brittany from the Etsy shop Under the Radar Books. After reading this, I'm honestly surprised at the one and two star reviews. Even if this isn't your favorite read, the writing alone deserves praise. Winman uses quirky and wonderfully drawn characters to tell this coming of age story. Love is present in many forms, and the title derives from little Elly's rabbit who she names God- unintentionally upsetting many with her "blasphemy."
      I appreciated the astute observations Winman gave her young protagonist. Kids notice everything.
" 'What a lovely house' said my mother, with not a jealous thought coursing through her mind. She was always like that: grateful for life itself. Her glass was not only half full, it was gold plated with a permanent refill." As with any novel that spans decades, tragedy does strike. The characters were distinct-so realistically grieved differently. There was also an emphasis on appreciating our health, which most of us take for granted.
     I don't think this book was just "ordinary". I will remember these characters. It reminded me in ways of another beloved book, Where'd You Go Bernadette by Maria Semple. This was more serious and less slapstick, but I can see the characters being friends....parents and kids alike. From Eleanor Maud's relationship with her brother, parents, Jenny Penny, Arthur, Ginger, Aunt and many others as her life evolves, the reader goes on a beautiful journey of her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment