Sunday, March 19, 2017

REVIEW: DEPT. OF SPECULATION BY JENNY OFFILL

Published by Alfred A. Knopf, 2014. Hardcover, 181 pgs
Goodreads Description

     A tiny little book, I enjoy picking up stories about portraits of marriage. There were parts that gave me appropriate empathetic pangs...."And that phrase-"sleeping like a baby." Some blond said it blithely on the subway the other day. I wanted to lie down next to her and scream for five hours in her ear."      However, the format was too disjointed for my liking, even though I appreciated the observations. It felt similar to poetry that is a struggle. I was left wanting more, especially from a book that has been touted by some of my favorite literary websites. Offill writes candidly and well, but I don't think I'll find it memorable in a couple weeks.



No comments:

Post a Comment