Friday, October 28, 2016

REVIEW: WHERE OR WHEN BY ANITA SHREVE

Published by Abacus, 1994. Paperback, 237 pgs
Goodreads Description
      I erroneously checked Goodreads reviews prior to reading. Occasionally I'll check ratings between several books to narrow down what I'm reading next. This usually backfires for all selections, since they're never as high as I wish they'd be! This one is particularly polarizing. However, I wasn't in the mood for books on my shelves, and it was a recent and short library purchase for a quarter. If you are a regular reader of my reviews, you'll know I've been on a nonfiction and relationship-based fiction kick.
     As a fan of reading about complicated marriages, I'm not detoured by the bad behavior of main characters. While I find their actions repulsive, the life triggers that initiate affairs (and the role each player assumes) can be an interesting sociological study. Also, I like to read about love in all forms.....and luckily I'm far removed from this so it doesn't usually upset me while reading. My husband is my favorite person in all the world.
         The writing was really good. There's an excellent example of everyday casual cruelty when one of the characters is assessing his wife's cooking. He mentions that the lamb is overdone, and "no one in Harriett's family can cook, he has long decided, and the table invariably looks stingy- even on Thanksgiving."  The unspoken marriage bargains we negotiate was part of the story I related to, even though it was seen as monotonous and negative in the novel. For example, I'm the kitchen and laundry person, my husband changes filters and does the vacuuming.
      The letter writing back and forth, in addition to the use of pay phones, was a definite throwback. The strange descriptions of pre-cell phone era interaction was slightly nostalgic. This book is 22 years old, so the communication methods were written accordingly. I liked the pretty, clandestine atmosphere of The Ridge as well, which provided a stark contrast to the unfaithful couple.
     This novel was solidly in the three star range. There weren't many surprises, and I did feel more uncomfortable the further I read. I realize this is nonsensical- since the subject matter is clear. The icky feeling of being complicit in the affair was unnerving- espeically as the family situations worsened around the Holidays.The ending was sufficiently depressing and realistic. If you enjoy reading about difficult situations and unrequited love....and can handle deplorable characters, this is a quick read.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment