Saturday, October 1, 2016

REVIEW: HEX BY THOMAS OLDE HEUVELT

Published by Tor, 2016. Hardcover, 384 pgs
Goodreads Description

     An excellently bewitching story!! Heuvelt is on my radar in a big way. I was half-paying attention to a YouTube video while washing dishes a few weeks ago. When I heard mention of a creepy novel set in Black Rock Springs- featuring a small town witch with eyes and mouth sewn-shut- who wanders the streets and enters homes at will, I couldn't help but take notice. It reminded me of reading Ticktock by Dean Koontz when I was a teenager. The cover of my edition of Ticktock featured a cloth doll with stitches for eyes, and the image (if not the story) were unforgettable. Book Riot's Liberty Hardy mentioned Hex shortly thereafter, and when traveling to Malaprops bookstore during a trip to North Carolina and finding a signed copy, I knew it was fate. My copy also came with a needle and thread insert for "sewing things shut". Shudder.
        The plot is strong and the characters are surprisingly developed for this type of genre. I've had experiences where the core set of horror characters feel plopped into a scary setting promptly before they are killed. Besides the initial chilling reaction (and wondering when/where the supernatural object/person is going to strike next) the victim is given little further thought. Hopefully that's not just me. Not the case here.
      Another strong point concerned the blending of technology with this crazy 17th century curse on a modern day secluded town. Instead of sticking this story conveniently in a pre-cellphone era, Heuvelt embraces the opportunity to add an intelligent layer to the narrative. For example, the witch is tracked through the "HexAPP", cleverly making the citizens aware of her whereabouts (and if she needs hiding) at a moment's notice. There was always a building sense of foreboding, while simultaneously infusing a few lighthearted tech jokes.The governing Council's efforts to prevent growth and keep outsider questions at bay-while still procuring funds for the town- was also ingenious.
      I read this three days ago, and have found more ways I appreciate the set up of the scenes and pacing. From the justice system, to the manipulation of the characters, to the rules/indoctrination of the town, and the terrifyingly plausible way that people react to fear and uncertainty, Heuvelt did a bang up job.   
      The author is Dutch, but I'm still surprised this hasn't received more attention in the United States. Perfect for lead up to Halloween, and I give kudos to Heuvelt for listening to his publisher and updating the dutch version for American readers. He's fluent in multiple languages, a strong storyteller, and has won the Hugo award (and was nominated for the World Fantasy Award for short fiction). Apologies for giving you part of the jacket cover bio, but I wanted to stress the writing chops of this author. I'm thrilled that he is young and will hopefully have a long career ahead of him. Another checked book in my favorites of the year column!


No comments:

Post a Comment