Saturday, October 1, 2016

REVIEW: THE FOOD BABE WAY BY VANI HARI

Published by Little, Brown and Company, 2016. Paperback, 384 pgs
Goodreads Description

      Okay. There are some extremely polarizing reviews! Luckily, I formed my opinions well before taking a Goodreads glance. I'll provide a small backstory on my food/exercise journey so there's a foundation for this review. I've been regularly exercising for years. I used to run on the treadmill in college, then found the benefits of interval training through Beachbody programs in 2009 after my daughter was born (Insanity by Shaun T was my first if you're curious). However, I was such a cardio junkie I refused to try any weight training....I thought it was mainly a "manly" exercise and I was worried I would look too muscular and not feminine. Two months ago I incorporated some of this in my routine, and it really has changed the way I feel. I'm embarrassed it took me 10+ years to try it.
       Rectifying these things, that only left my relationship with food. I love sugar. I love ALL the sugar. Since I do high intensity workouts, I never read food labels. As long as I was eating one dessert a day, portions that weren't wildly out of control, and good boxed cereal, what was the harm? Nothing really, but occasionally I didn't feel great. I had a pumpkin recipe where I was curious if I could swap the sugar for a substitute that wasn't artificial. I ran into the ingredients stevia and truvia. Googling the two sent me down a rabbit hole of information. I was at the library the next day and this book caught my eye on an end cap.
      There is a lot to gain from some of her tips. The one star reviews of people who think she's lying or refuse to read her "crap" are unfair. While I won't be following all of them, namely buying only organic coffee beans and making your own brew every day vs. Tim's or Starbucks (sorry lady, that's my treat), I still think her facts are sound. With any guide, you have to pick and choose what advice you think is realistic and suitable for your lifestyle.
My big takeaways:
1) A smaller ingredient list on a box is usually best (more natural, less additives)
2) Good websites for baking materials (Thrive Market!)
3) The sickening 15 ingredients to avoid
4) The top items you should buy organic if you can afford to
5) How much/what type of fish you should eat
6) The best alternative sugar options (maple syrup, honey, stevia leaf)
      I understand food is crucial to our well-being. She loses points on her extremism and almost offensive sections on the perils of Wal-Mart over other grocers. It's insensitive to assume that everyone has access to a Trader Joes, Whole Foods, or even Kroger. She also bashes certain diet plans. I understood the main point- to highlight the detrimental effects harsh plans can have on health (as well as the difficulty sustaining these diets long-term), but the manner was definitely off-putting.
     I still think people should read this book- her data can be confirmed by other dieticians and basic physiology, and much of the info simply makes good sense. If you've read this book or others like it, I'd love to hear your thoughts and comparisons.




2 comments:

  1. I've been using more honey and less sugar in my meals/drinks for the past year and found that I absolutely do not miss it. The only time I reluctantly use sugar in baking for example or a recipe I am not familiar with I still cut it in half.
    I appreciate your leveled review because it resonated with people like me who don't go to Wal-Mart but also can't afford a Trader Joes or Whole Foods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry it took me this long to respond. Somehow I missed this comment! This book and several others I've been reading have really surprised me, and following the advice has worked. I feel better, and if you sub things, you don't miss the sugar! I'm so glad you liked the review Akoss. Thanks for taking the time to read my blog, coming from YouTube it feels like I'm talking into a void now:-P xoxo

      Delete