Tuesday, October 25, 2016

REVIEW: THE FALL GUY BY JAMES LASDUN

Published by W.W Norton & Company, 2016. Hardcover, 245 pgs
Goodreads Description

    Let's start with a silly complaint, shall we? I felt negatively predisposed to this book because of something trivial....the huge font and almost double-spaced sentences. I'd prefer the book to be shorter than look goofy in this format. Anyways, this is perhaps the most low-key book I've ever read. I would recommend this for very specific readers: those who enjoy pretty solid character studies with little action. The author had a truly unique ability to portray the few action scenes with little or no suspense. Depending on the reader, this could be a positive or a negative. Lasdun deftly explores themes of envy, introspection, heavy rationalization, and self absorption. I'm going to leave this review short. I had highlighted three passages of great writing, but all contain character spoilers. I'm curious about his other novels, but would probably stick with checking them out from the library. Just okay for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment