Sunday, July 10, 2016

REVIEW: WE ARE UNPREPARED BY MEG LITTLE REILLY

Published by Mira, Expected Publication August 30, 2016. I read an Advance Uncorrected Proof that I received from Book Expo America. Paperback, 353 pgs.

      I had high hopes! I put this on my Book Expo America agenda very early when I heard the description. I love that Reilly used her environmental experience working for the Obama administration to shape the idea for this novel. The reality of climate change and superstorms are eerily plausible, making this topic a seemingly compelling read.
     Eh. The concept was fantastic, but the execution with the characters and writing were problematic. The relationship between Pia and Ash felt one-dimensional and forced. In the opening..."So, what are we going to do, love?" Pia asked, more excited than scared. "These storms are just terrifying! We need a plan." Umm, obviously. Both the main characters were self-centered and shallow, which unfortunately lowered my interest in what became of them. The romantic elements were distracting. There is also an instalove situation that felt particularly unnecessary. One of the characters is repeatedly referred to as "Bev The Social Worker". I'm not sure why her profession wasn't dropped after the first 50 pages, but perhaps that will be corrected in later copies? (I hope!). I did enjoy the inclusion of the little boy August.
      Northeast Vermont was a beautiful setting. While Isole was a fictional location, real places were also referenced. The connection to nature could be nicely highlighted, but in lots of instances felt browbeaten "Pia and I drank coffee with sweet local cream while we watched old men on network TV discuss how this might influence....." The way Pia and Ash were gathering food for the storm was pertinent, but having to hear little organic details detracted from the focus of the chapters.
        The strengths were the meteorological details and the behavior of people who have different survival methods. Reilly was good at exploring how fear can transform a community into something unrecognizable, and the perils of being unwilling to compromise.  
      I finished because I wanted to know the outcome of the storm rather than the character fates. Reilly has an interesting afterword, and I liked the thoughtful Questions for Discussion. While I was somewhat letdown, the themes were intriguing and would make for a good book club chat.


No comments:

Post a Comment