Sunday, July 10, 2016

REVIEW: SHIP OF DESTINY (LIVESHIP TRADERS #3) BY ROBIN HOBB

Published by Del Rey, 2014. Mass Market Paperback, 789 pgs
Goodreads Description
         
     I marathoned Hobb's Farseer Trilogy, but wanted to savor the last one in this series. I also needed a bit of a Fantasy break. Even though Hobb is my favorite Fantasy writer, my mood has trended towards literary and contemporary women's fiction lately- and I didn't want that to negatively affect my reading.
     I rate Hobb's books the same because her writing doesn't falter for me from story to story. This conclusion was rich in description, and finally explained the wizardwood, serpent, and Rain Wild mysteries.
      These poor downtrodden females. The struggle is REAL. Hobb deftly writes the plights of her female characters with empathy and realism. Serilla, Althea, and Ronica are prime examples. Serilla wants to wield control over Bingtown despite a weak document recognizing her as Satrap's delegate, Althea is struggling to regain her liveship (while ignoring feelings for Brashen), and Ronica is manipulating Bingtown politics in hopes of swaying the council to rebuild the devastated city. The constant fight for power and frustration at thwarted efforts makes for compelling reading.
       I'm also disappointed about a major event that transformed Althea in the last half of the story. It was a bold move on Hobb's part, but selfishly wish it hadn't been included due to it's brutality and the fact that she'd already been through many ordeals. I wish it could have been skipped as a plot point. However, it doesn't detract from the strength of the series as a whole. 
     The dragons were an outlet for Hobb to philosophize on how we interact with different groups of people, and how a human life is a blip on the radar. Our short time should be spent trying to find contentment, working hard, and living life to it's fullest potential.
     I found the dialogue of the Satrap a bit strange. While he behaved like a petulent, lazy child, he sprouted dialogue that seemed too intellectual for his tantrums. Perhaps his intelligence was hidden beneath his spoiled nature, but I was surprised that he didn't have simpler dialogue, especially in the boat scenes from Trehaug. The development of his voice would be a question I'd have for Hobb if I were ever fortunate enough to go to an author event (or possible Goodreads forum...one can hope!)
        Whether it be places or people, Hobb slips in bits of social commentary in our intensity to mold circumstances to our will, regardless of whether that is beneficial to the object in question or society as a whole. Ambition can be blinding. Guy Gavriel Kay also does this skillfully, highlighting many moral gray areas.
      This is the best type of Fantasy, where we learn something about real life in a less-threatening way because it's a few steps removed from our reality. She also shows what happens when dreams don't match up with reality and we are forced to change course. Her impressive streak continues with the end of this trilogy, and I can't wait to continue my Hobb journey with the Rain Wild Chronicles. I would recommend Hobb to anyone who loves Fantasy, and doesn't mind characters who have a long road to redemption.


   
             

4 comments:

  1. Dear Patti,

    I promise I will get on the Robin Hobb bandwagon one day. :)

    PS: I always read your blog but always fail to comment. Today I have #saveourcozies to thank for giving me that push. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi friend! I really appreciate it. That's the part I miss most about YouTube...the comments!!! I think you might enjoy Hobb, but you have to be in the mood for a long saga. Has Kevin read anything by her? Remembering his book tastes, he might enjoy them too:-) xoxo

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I appreciate you stopping by:-)

      Delete