Monday, July 18, 2016

REVIEW: SHELTER BY JUNG YUN

Published by Picador, 2016. Hardcover, 328 pgs
Goodreads Description
     This is easily one of the most heartbreaking family novels I've read, but it is a stunning story. While the subject matter is brutal, the style is simple and unpretentious. I usually fail to offer trigger warnings, but this has them for all kinds of violence- so be adequately warned.
    This will impact any empathetic adult who has aging parents. While this particular relationship isn't what most of us experience (at least I hope), there are kernels of personality quirks you might notice in yourself or your own parents. I nodded along to certain emotions Kyung was experiencing as ones I've felt about my own parents, while simultaneously loathing him for it. Thought provoking is a phrase used often when reviewing, but it's rarely been more apt for me than with this story.
     I've had irrational reactions to a family member for losing their filter in public and embarrassing me and my children. Taking a step back, it's obvious that said person is frustrated at their own inability to accomplish a certain task, so projecting the blame and resentment to passersby as "their fault" is how the aggression presents itself. While embarrassing, I know that I can't control this person, and most of the time can manage the situation so this doesn't happen. Then again, there are bad days where the anger and sadness are overwhelming. Families can be messy, complicated things indeed. Even the loving ones. Also, this is not about my husband- he's a gem:-)
      Yun explores how we place value on relationships, our obligations to family, our varied defense mechanisms, the role of religion in tragedy, and throws in some financial stress for good measure! The cherry on top of the Sundae. She also manages to eloquently educate the reader on cultural differences between Americans and Koreans, and how this can affect upbringing.
      While categorized as literary fiction, Shelter sweeps you along quicker than most of these character based stories. There is a unique quality in the writing that is hard to describe, and it's evident that Yun spent years tweaking this story. I can understand the praise for this debut, and predict some award nominations in short order.




No comments:

Post a Comment