Wednesday, June 29, 2016

REVIEW: PERFECT DAYS BY RAPHAEL MONTES

Published by Penguin Press, 2014. Hardcover, 264 pgs.
Goodreads Description
       The premise sounded like a mix of two of my favorite thrillers-You by Caroline Kepnes and Misery by Stephen King. I acknowledge this is unfair because of the high pedestal I've placed them upon. Unfortunately, because those two are so exceptionally strong, this paled a little in comparison.
    I found the story a little lackluster. While immediately finding Teo repulsive, his character seemed slightly flat. I love character studies and wanted more of his inner monologues, not just the basic rundown of his day or how he was transporting Clarice around in a suitcase....which is apparently possible if the woman is petite enough and the suitcase is extra large. Ick. I wanted her perspective as well, even though her feelings are abundantly clear due to the torturous circumstances.
      The pace picks up in the middle, with a few truly messed up details that bumped up my rating. I wish the ending had taken a different direction for several reasons....but obviously can't say because of spoilers. I loved a bit in the Author Acknowledgement where Montes says his mother wanted him to write something less violent after his novel, Suicidas. This was his answer, a love story of sorts. HA. This is a super fast read at 264 easy pages.


No comments:

Post a Comment