Friday, June 17, 2016

REVIEW: ENCHANTED ISLANDS BY ALLISON AMEND

Published by Nan A.Talese, 2016. Hardcover, 306 pgs.
Goodreads Description   
 ****3.5 STARS
      The major snapshot I took away from this novel was the complexity of human nature. From bizarre wartime behavior to unordinary love, Amend highlighted people who tried to accept circumstances and snatch happiness when it was made available- especially when life deviated from plan.
      The story wasn't what I expected from the blurbs and internet chatter. At it's heart, this is a character study. The island setting, while a lush and exotic backdrop, is definitely secondary to the internal personal struggles. I enjoyed the sections talking about the inherent pleasure of working with nature."There is a strange serenity that comes with only having to worry about your basic needs. It makes me think that primitive man might have been better off than we are today." The sense of foreboding on the island due to impending war permeated the narrative too.
       I loved the nursing home humor! The story opens on Rosalie and Frances musing on their current surroundings. "The few men in residence are even more decrepit than we old hens. They are cocks of the walk. The younger women mill about, fawning over those toothless skeletons as though they were meat worth catching." Amend was great at creating scenes with wit and humor. I liked that the story was told from present to past, as well as the incorporation of historical facts (such as President Roosevelt's real visit to the Galapagos).
      Ironically, the strengths of the novel were also some of the reasons I didn't jive with it. I wanted a little more for some characters. However, if Amend had written this in that fashion, it probably would have set the wrong tone for the characters- especially with their personality quirks. There is an underlying sadness in the story, and it felt realistic.
       I also wanted more Galapagos history and description. The writing is fantastic, and the fictionalization of real explorers was an interesting concept indeed. I think this boils down to how much you enjoy hearing about this couple's unconventional life, and fraught female friendships. It's certainly beautiful and different, and I think lots of people will find it a good, solid read.



    
  





      
      

        

2 comments:

  1. Your description of this made me flashback to The People in the Trees! Probably the island setting. Love the quote about nature too. I think I had a similar thought when reading Walden: it's modern life that makes me anxious. Can I just go live as a hermit in a forest and garden and stay alive??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't that be awesome?! You would be closer to that dream than me, I need to get gardening:-P Thanks for commenting Rachel <3

      Delete