Monday, June 6, 2016

REVIEW: &SONS BY DAVID GILBERT

Goodreads Description
Published by Random House, 2013. Hardcover, 453 pgs
One of my favorite quotes:     
 "It was one of those moments, thankfully rare, when you can spot another person's core needs, almost by accident- absolutely by accident since those needs are almost graphic when blatant, like seeing the musculature and tendon required to prop up hope."
       
          This is a family melodrama with nuanced and unstable characters, bookish references, symbolism, details on the arduous writing process, unreliable narrators, and the meaning of life and legacy. New York City is a main character, with it's iconic smoky room/high society lifestyle and literary scene. It takes some analysis, and while initially frustrated at my pace, I was glad that I took my time and absorbed the chapters slowly. I felt my humanity while reading this book- connecting with the realization that, deep down, we are mortal and have a finite time on this earth to accomplish our goals and form meaningful relationships. It's also a fascinating reflection on the futility of fighting the family we are born into, and accepting the circumstances of our relationships while trying to find our own identity.
       This book is extremely meaty, and forces you to slow down with the writing, particularly the interspersed cursive letters between Dyer and his friend Charlie. The documentation pulls you into the story unapologetically, falling deeper into the history of these men and their fates. I alternated between being touched at the sentiments, then frustrated by the unspoken and careless treatment of their families. It felt like reading a classic, and I don't mean that in a negative way. The themes and rich language, along with the coming of age aspects (thwarted ambitions and flashes of success) make it feel like a period piece that readers fifty years from now will appreciate.  
       This was my first Book of the Month club selection! I've heard about it on podcasts for ages and was torn on whether or not to read it. The writing was stellar, and when I read the blurb by the judge who nominated this selection as a May pick, I was finally convinced.      I'm glad this club allowed me to leap the hurdle of my initial prejudice. Isn't that the greatest? When all your preconceived notions turn out to be incorrect and you sink into a marvelous story? From the moment I read Andrew musing "They were hopeless without their women", I knew the story wasn't going to be  misogynistic as I had feared. Even if females weren't the main characters, the kind acknowledgement was nice. I felt in good hands with the author. This might be controversial, but I don't get furious if men don't write women perfectly. Yes, most authors have a mom, wife, sister, or mentor that should serve as some example. As long as an appropriate attempt is made with respect, I'm usually okay. As women, we are very nuanced creatures- writing a woman well can be extraordinarily hard to do if you haven't walked in our shoes. This doesn't mean I excuse crappy writing. However, I would be curious to read a novel by this author from a female perspective.
       I hope this rambling review will convince you to pick up this work of literary fiction. While not incredibly plot heavy, the character study is extraordinary. I think Gilbert is immensely talented, and the interview with Curtis Sittenfeld at the end of my edition further convinced me of his brilliance. Happy reading!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment