Monday, August 3, 2015

REVIEW: REGULATION 19 (BOOK 1 IN THE DEADLOCK TRILOGY) BY P.T. HYLTON


 Published by Six-String Books, 2015. Paperback, 312 pgs.
 PT Hylton's Booktube Channel
His Website
      We open on a prison. Prisons absolutely terrify me. One of my worst fears is being set up for a crime and ending up in jail a la Orange is the New Black style. It wouldn't stop there. I'd end up getting an infraction of some sort and be put in solitary. Before this thought process is allowed to go further, let's discuss this novel. Frank Hinkle has been in prison for nine years. One day, he is unexpectedly given a reprieve from his sentence on the condition that he perform a certain task. In agreement, he is released to a vastly different Rook Mountain, Tennessee to the one he left. His friends and family are unrecognizable in their behaviors and lifestyle, his brother has disappeared, regulations are in place to keep the citizens of the town from leaving, and mysterious objects are found that end up being of paramount importance. Other than the basics, the less you know the better. 

       This book is a nice blend of elements. We have a Dystopian Tennessee setting nine years in the future, as well as flashback sections to the time before "Unregulated". We also have mystery/thriller/fantasy components with time travel thrown in for good measure. Regulation 19 is distinct and doesn't fit into any one specific genre. Due to the gritty style and excellent writing on a mystery in a small town, I'd liken Hylton's style to Stephen King if I had to think of the closest author comparison.  My favorite settings are rustic so this added to my overall enjoyment. Woods, cabins, and mountains simultaneously give the story a comforting feel, but a sinister one as well due to isolation and the event that keeps it walled off from the rest of the world. The juxtaposition makes for an intriguing story.

     I enjoy creepy small town stories, and this one delivered. I felt for all the characters and was interested in their relationships with each other. There are lots of twists and turns in this book, and, as some fellow reviewers have said (and I wholeheartedly agree) I never knew where the story was going and enjoyed the continuous surprises. There are a couple devices near the end that helped provide explanation and set the reader up for the second installment in the trilogy. This could easily have felt contrived, but it was done seamlessly and that impressed me even more. 

      I would also like to promote P.T. Hylton as a fellow Booktuber and a very nice, articulate person. Thrilled to say that I can wholeheartedly recommend his book as well. I was lucky to receive a signed copy with annotations throughout highlighting PT's thoughts/feelings on the scene or experience while writing. If you go here, you can get signed copies and also buy all three books in the trilogy for $32.95 (includes shipping-US only.) All three can be shipped to the UK for $59.95. I recommend buying directly from him for the great personalization! I'm very excited to see how A Place Without Shadows deals with the changes presented in book one. Highly recommend!   


No comments:

Post a Comment