Tuesday, July 28, 2015

REVIEW: THE SALINGER CONTRACT BY ADAM LANGER

Published by Open Road Media, 2013. Paperback, 255 pgs

I didn't take the amount of notes I usually do for this one- so I hope I still have some helpful thoughts. I flew through this quick, literary mystery/thriller. I read this for the #TBRTakedown Read-a-thon created by Shannon from the channel leaninglights on Booktube. This is a novel I'd had on my shelves for a long time. I had received this in a Book Riot Quarterly box over a year ago so it was high time I read it!

We have our main character Adam Langer- yes, the same name as the author even though this is fiction....or partly. The background and writing life of this character is quite similar to the author bio. The fun of this book is the blurred line between fact and fiction. When Langer (in the story) befriends thriller writer Conner Joyce, they both go on a journey neither of them intended. Joyce is struggling to write his next novel and is then approached by a stranger. This mysterious man offers him an unusual proposal which would solve his financial issues. Unsure how to proceed, Joyce enlists the help of his trusty friend Langer, who is experiencing his own money problems in the sleepy college town of Bloomington, Indiana. 

Past the setup, the less you know the better. Book lovers will enjoy the literary references...spoiler: Salinger is mentioned...a lot. I liked the discussion on where the book industry is headed, specifically what readers deem worthwhile creative content and how much they are willing to pay for it. The reader is also exposed to some publishing houses "franchise boosting" authors. All large houses have them- and their big name releases provide bonuses for employees and advances for other authors.

Trust and friendship are major themes that Langer explores. I had no idea writing a novel could have such high stakes! This was a fun, average mystery/thriller with a bit of a book-loving twist. Perfect for a one or two sitting read.

No comments:

Post a Comment