Wednesday, July 1, 2015

REVIEW: OTHERLAND VOLUME ONE: CITY OF GOLDEN SHADOW BY TAD WILLIAMS

 Published by Daw books, 1996. Mass Market Paperback, 780 pgs
Goodreads Description
This is a massively complex science fiction novel with many characters and locations. The third person narrator focuses on five main characters who have all experienced some kind of loss or trauma-which is mysteriously driving them to search for a golden city they've only glimpsed in dreams. The narrative switches back and forth between the real world and the virtual reality experience. 

I was excited to read this book on the recommendation of a wonderful fellow YouTuber, Brock from Let's Read. I was even more interested when I realized this was published in the 90's- I find it fascinating to see what author predictions on society and technology have already come true in today's day and age. The intense gaming culture, Sim creation, and technology "pads" (eerily similar to our I-pads) used in this book struck me as startlingly accurate predictions in how we often live now. Of course there are scary elements in how these have gone too far, but that only makes the book experience more nerve-wracking in realizing it is within the realm of possibility that technology and wealth can be misused.

I found the Sim creation process interesting. By plugging into the net, someone can create an avatar that compensates for what they don't have in the real world- strength, beauty, a different gender, all with the click of a few buttons. VR sims can have animal faces or be simple blobs, making conversations near impossible to decipher due to lack of normal body language- namely facial expressions. The existence of this world brings to light the need humans have for real contact, no matter what technology.

I liked !Xabbu's storyline the best, especially how Williams included some info and stories on the aboriginal peoples of South Africa, the Bushmen. He is a great support to Renie while she is dealing with her home and professional struggles. Paul Jonas's storyline was certainly the most confusing for me- and I ended up Wikipedia-ing the last few chapters of the book to make sure I had understood the cliffhanger ending.

I will be continuing with this series, I'm just not sure when. Williams has a great mind, and the threads he has woven in between all these stories is impressive, but sometimes felt a bit much. I would really sink my teeth into a particular story, then something seemingly random (which I realize won't be as we get more info with the following books) would pull me out of the story and it felt frustrating. Particularly, around page 642 there is a desert scene with an Aghori man, who begins talking about Lord Vishnu and Lord Shiva....and I was desperately wanting to get back and hear more about our main character's plight.

However, I must take into account that I was trying to finish this book by a particular time, so the last 100 page effort was perhaps more difficult than usual. Also, science fiction is new to me and I'm not adept at understanding all the science jargon. I can understand the appeal of this series, especially with the emphasis on computer science and it's seemingly limitless applications. I think I would need to read the next installment to put some puzzle pieces together...but a pretty good start. Certainly memorable, and one that would benefit greatly from a reread.

   1/2 stars



No comments:

Post a Comment