Saturday, August 8, 2015

REVIEW: CRENSHAW BY KATHERINE APPLEGATE

*Disclosure: I was lucky enough to receive an Advanced Readers Copy of this book at BookExpoAmerica.

Expected Publication: September 22, 2015 from Fiewel & Friends, a division of Macmillan. Hardback, 256 pgs

    Before I start this review, I would like to endorse this author as a nice human being. I was in line for the book at Book Expo America this past May, and saw her interactions with other readers, specifically younger kids (who were in the age category for this book- 8-12). I heard her asking what they wanted to be when they grew up and really engaging with them. I heard her say that writing was the best job in the world and she highly recommended it. It's great to hear someone so in love with their craft! 

      My first reading experience with Applegate was the One and Only Ivan. My review is here. The beautiful way she wrote the human and animal interaction made me excited to pick up her other work. When I heard the premise for this middle grade novel, I made her line a priority at Book Expo America so I could get my hands on it.

    Jackson is a fifth-grader whose family has fallen on hard times. The plausible reasons for this are revealed throughout the story, which is done in a well-paced way that allows the reader to connect with the family's hardships. I thought her depiction of his parent's glass half-full positivity inspiring. I hope young readers will be grateful for what they have and think carefully about how they can help those who don't. There are many good takeaways from the book

    I appreciate the way Applegate tackles tough issues that kids face and does it in a heartfelt, easily understandable, and appropriate manner. As a parent, I would love nothing more than to shelter my kids from the harsh threats of the world. Unfortunately, since this isn't reality, it is wonderful to have stories that tackle difficult subjects well. 

   I was a bit surprised that Crenshaw was more of a background character than I originally thought he would be. However, his representation of comfort through a tumultuous time was the crucial point, no matter what animal form that took. I'm sure Applegate carefully considered an animal that matched the traits needed. Also, imaginary friends bring joy and help fill any voids, and I love the idea that they will always be around when needed the most. I wish books like this had been given to me as a child, I'm so impressed with the great literary choices our children have today.




No comments:

Post a Comment