Wednesday, February 15, 2017

REVIEW: THE MOTHERS BY BRIT BENNETT

Published by Riverhead Books, 2016. Hardcover, 278 pgs
Goodreads Description

    This was my first of two wonderful vacation books. The husband and I traveled to Mexico for an Avett Brothers at the Beach event, and I was craving quick, contemporary reads that also had substance. Quite the buzz was made about this last year, and I was happy to see it become available at the library. I was impressed with Bennett's debut, and quickly gobbled up this novel. I liked her choice of telling Nadia and Aubrey's story- interspersed with the collective history and story of the "mothers" of the church.
      Trigger warning: the topic of abortion is present. I applaud Bennett's bravery for tackling such a controversial issue. I was pleased with her handling. Facts were laid out, and the characters deal with the fallout and emotional repercussions over their life. I've never read a story that discussed the male's grief portion, and found that psychological study interesting. An beautiful story of friendship, betrayal, love, loss, abuse, acceptance....this will strike a chord with any female who has nurtured someone over their life, or simply had a close relationship.

        

No comments:

Post a Comment