Thursday, August 11, 2016

REVIEW: THE WOMAN IN CABIN 10 BY RUTH WARE

Published by Scout Press, 2016. Hardcover, 341 pgs.
Goodreads Description
    My four star rash of reviews continues! Once again, my Book of the Month selection did not disappoint. I enjoyed this fast read immensely, and it was the epitome of a page turner. I predict a movie will come of this, if production can figure out a way to translate all of Lo's inner monologues to screen in some inventive way.
     I've seen some negative reviews, and will concede that the end could be predictable to a few (like any mystery), and "the unreliable narrator reporting a crime" is getting a bit overused in novels lately (yes, a la Girl on the Train.) Side note: While I enjoyed that book, I think the movie trailer looks 100 times better!
     The claustrophobic nature of the ship setting added to my general unease as I was nervously reading, and heightened my investment in the outcome. This was important- as this book doesn't evoke empathy through character study, rather a laying out of general facts on each person. For example, we know there is an extreme travel writer with a shady past who creeps around. However, we aren't in his head, and we only get these facts mixed with basic interactions in the public areas of the ship.
      Any fans of Agatha Christie will appreciate the style. I also liked the insertion of newspaper articles, e-mails, and chat room forum snippets between the chapters. It added extra confusion and spiciness to the mix. I enjoyed being forced to doubt my interpretation of the facts. This is a fun, perfect book for summer.... and if you're extra daring- read on a cruise ship! :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment