Monday, August 29, 2016

REVIEW: DARK MATTER BY BLAKE CROUCH

DISCLAIMER: I was provided an ARC at BookExpoAmerica!
Published by Crown, 2016. Hardcover, 342 pgs
Goodreads Description

      It's been several days since I read this, and each day I remember more details I loved about the story. I wouldn't have written any of the scenes differently, and it was simultaneously fun and terrifying. As soon as I felt like I had my footing, Crouch masterfully drove the action in another direction. Consistently disturbing, there are no lulls- managing to be suspenseful and puzzling from beginning to end.
     I like the exploration of the "path not taken" idea, especially coupled with the complex science fiction element of multiverses. It's human nature to get so caught up in the mundane day-to-days that we take for granted our simplest, but most important, blessings. "No one tells you it's all about to change, to be taken away. There's no proximity alert, no indication that you're standing on the precipice. And maybe that's what makes tragedy so tragic. Not just what happens, but how it happens: a sucker punch that comes at you out of nowhere, when you're least expecting it. No time to flinch or brace." (pg 1 of my ARC). Crouch also looks at what would happen if versions of ourselves existed in different circumstances.  
     The relationship was spectacular. My investment in the outcome was rooted in Jason's sweet relationship with Daniela, and the trust and respect they had for each other. It managed to be heartwarming without the cheese factor. I got chills imagining the imagery in the art installation scene. I related to Jason's weird parental paradox when discussing his son- sometimes the older you get, the less you feel you understand. Crouch stayed true to his character's personalities, and I also appreciated how side characters were handled- one in particular (Hint: Amanda Lucas).  
     Crouch has written a book that is already receiving high praise from early readers, and I predict it will be a bestseller this year! This will work for readers who love Thrillers, Sci-Fi, Mystery, Romance, etc. There is something for everyone to enjoy, and that's a mark of a compelling story. I will join the bandwagon of other reviewers who believe this would make an excellent movie!

5 comments:

  1. Yay!! I'm so happy you loved it! I have about 2 hours left on the audio book and loving every moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet that's pretty good! I'll have to see who narrates it. I have some audible credits that need to be used:-) Thanks for commenting Gina. I do miss that about YouTube:-(

      Delete
  2. Glad you enjoyed it as much as I did! I agree - this is absolutely going to become a bestseller. Even though it's a totally different genre, if you like explorations of "the path not taken", I recommend the contemporary novel Maybe In Another Life by Taylor Jenkins-Reid. I just finished the audiobook and really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and this is Rachel from TheShadesofOrange btw... somehow my comment linked to my wrong google+ account.

      Delete
    2. Okay,that's two votes for the audiobook! I was just telling Gina that I'll have to check out the narrator because I have some credits to use- I'm constantly subscribing for one thing, then a bunch pile up, and I unsubscribe:-P Next I want to get Amy Schumer's The Girl With the Lower Back Tattoo....the book is getting good reviews and since she's a comedian I need it in the audio medium! Thanks so much for commenting! Hope you're having a fun holiday weekend!

      Delete