Thursday, March 10, 2016

REVIEW: THE LIFE-CHANGING MAGIC OF TIDYING UP BY MARIE KONDO

Published by Ten Speed Press, 2014. Hardback, 214 pgs
   
     Kondo should be proud of her accomplishments in helping people tidy their living spaces using her KonMari method- and she is. The first few pages outline the importance of this process, as well as giving the reader testimonials of her past clients. She isn't afraid to pat herself on the back, but I suppose that's okay since she displays a genuine passion for her work. This quote demonstrates her interest in the subject: "I made drawers out of tissue boxes and broke my piggybank to purchase nifty storage items....in high school I even called up the manufacturer of particularly intriguing items and pestered the receptionist to tell me the story of how they were invented." That's dedication!
      Tooting her own horn aside, I did find the book informative. It's important to note that her approach is heavily influenced by Japanese culture (yeah, I know, it's in the title:-), and thus might seem strange at times for those who aren't used to viewing their home/objects through this lens.
     Kondo personifies inanimate objects in a laughable, but oddly sensical way (sometimes). If it doesn't bring you joy, get rid of it. Buying storage containers aren't in themselves a solution. If you don't need the objects in the containers, it's still clutter. "Putting things away can create an illusion that the clutter problem has been solved." I found this the most useful revelation to my cleaning life, as well as the entire section on discarding and then storing clothing in a particular folded method to maximize space.
      While the style can be off-putting on occasion, I think these tips are useful if you keep an open mind. We can all improve our lives through organization, and if a book can help me put my favorite place in order, then it is well worth a read.

No comments:

Post a Comment