Thursday, March 31, 2016

REVIEW: HIDDEN BODIES (YOU #2) BY CAROLINE KEPNES

Published by Simon & Schuster Audio, 2016. Audiobook, unabridged download

      You was one of my favorite books of 2015. I don't remember the last time I bought an anticipated read on release day. On February 23, I downloaded this from Audible as soon as I could. The release day was five weeks ago. I've been listening in small snippets everyday so it wouldn't end. This one is difficult to discuss without spoiling the first book, because Joe's journey is dependent on the events that transpired in You, and there are references that won't be appreciated as well.
     I've got to admit I was nervous for this installment. I was worried it would be rambling without a certain element present in the first. I was crossing my fingers the magic of his personality wouldn't dissipate over the course of the novel. I also dreaded the location change.
      Luckily, I needn't have worried. Joe's diabolical character assassination of each person he encounters continues with his journey to the West Coast. The chapter where he meets his landlord and Delilah are prime examples. Joe must assess everyone to see what immediate value they have to him and his schemes. Thankfully, he also has a mission.
     Then the mission shifts a bit, with the story meandering as he meets certain influential personalities in the Los Angeles area. Surprisingly, I found this to be the strongest part of the book- the meandering, with a few key, genius scenes that kept me on my toes. Sociopaths are often charismatic and scheming a few steps ahead....so the floating around made sense for that profile. If you don't mind some graphic content and sexually explicit scenes, Kepnes is a brilliant writer who has created one of my favorite literary characters to date. I want the third book immediately, but know Joe can't be rushed. If you haven't already gathered, I highly recommend to any thriller/suspense fans who crave captivating, unique characters.


No comments:

Post a Comment