Monday, January 18, 2016

REVIEW: DUNE BY FRANK HERBERT


Published by Sterling, 2013. Original, 1965. Leather Bound Barnes and Noble Edition, 585 pgs

      In this visionary work of Science Fiction, we open on the Duke of Atreides, his concubine Jessica, and their son Paul. Preparations are under way to leave their homeland in Caladan and journey to the Arrakis planet of Dune, previously ruled by the brutal Harkonnen regime. On this new planet, they will experience peril at every turn from the evil Harkonnens, a traitor from within, and the harsh physical landscape where water is scarce and giant sandworms roam among the precious spice commodity.  
      As in most created worlds, it takes me an hour or two of intense concentration, occasional notetaking, and @100 pages to become invested in the story. This was no different. This novel was published fifty years ago, has been made into a movie and sci-fi channel series, and been discussed thousands of times. I don't think I'll have any earth shattering observations, so will just share what I loved and what was slightly problematic for me.
       There are so many things to appreciate with the construct of the story. The world-building is incredibly detailed, with rich history for all groups of people. The precarious balance of power is fascinating and keeps the tension/suspense element present! I love the concept of any novel that explores the scarcity of a certain commodity, and how that can change people's daily lives. In this case, spice and water. The desert and structure descriptions were simply fantastic.
      I thought the writing was good in most parts, like this observation: "Always before, Staff had ended on an incisive air. This meeting had just seemed to trickle out, worn down by it's own inadequacies, and with an argument to top it off." Quite succinct, and really highlights the mood. I was a big fan of the italicized portions at the beginning of each segment (often written by Princess Irulan), which provided history and often great foreshadowing for the book.
      I think this had one of the most incredible villains. I liked the grotesque physical descriptions that were excellently repulsive! Specific examples would be "thick purple hands" "copious jowls" and "baby-fat hands".  ICK.
        I had some trouble with all the prophecies, legends, and visions that came to Paul and his mother. While I loved the Bene Gesserit Sisterhood element, some dreams went on too long and I wanted the action to move forward without a confusing/muddled dream sequence. Some of the descriptions seemed nonsensical and rambling, and became tedious to me. The visions always seemed fevered, but perhaps that is explored more in book two...or maybe I just need to concentrate and reread.  
       I can see why it is a landmark of Science Fiction and I'm pleased that I had the experience of reading such a beautiful edition. While I appreciated the imaginative work and rich world building, I'm not sure I'll be continuing with the series at the moment. I'm glad that this sufficed as a standalone, but that I'll be able to find plenty of material if I choose to return to this world. I recommend to anyone who wants to read a classic in the genre!


No comments:

Post a Comment