Friday, January 8, 2016

REVIEW: ASSASSIN'S QUEST (BOOK 3 IN THE FARSEER TRILOGY) BY ROBIN HOBB



Published by Bantam, 1997. Mass Market Paperback, 757 pgs   

      An epic ending to a fantastic trilogy. I did feel there were a couple pacing problems, particularly on a long journey near the end. I shouldn't have been surprised at some of the extreme magical elements, but there were a couple parts I wish had a more grounded explanation. I realize this is ridiculous since there are obvious hints of a grand revelation in the magic system setup, but it was quite fantastical and threw me off for whatever reason. However, I adored the magic of the Skill and the Wit-bond to animals. As someone who spends her days with four dogs, Hobb's loyal, loving depiction was accurate and appreciated.

     This book opens once again on a damaged Fitz who is trying to achieve normalcy and eventually go on a vengeful mission. Of all the novels, this is the most introspective and magic heavy. We also get additional Six Duchies history and lore. The reader has been on a long journey detailing the Kingdom's battle against The Red Ship raiders. The story is concluded in this final installment.

    The relationships wrapped up in both perfect and imperfect ways. There was a mix of happy and sad, with many realistic outcomes. It's so hard to stay out of spoiler territory, but my favorite resolutions dealt with Nighteyes and Molly. I appreciated that certain characters were given their due in sometimes unexpected ways, while others were elevated. This is intentionally vague, but those who have read the series will probably know which characters I'm referencing. If you'd like to discuss this series, please get in touch with me here or on YouTube. This is my new favorite series of all time. I haven't marathoned books all together in ages, and will deeply miss these characters. I'm thrilled that I have more Robin Hobb to discover. I urge you to try her books if you have any interest in Fantasy. Utterly brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment