Monday, November 23, 2015

REVIEW: THE MIRACULOUS JOURNEY OF EDWARD TULANE BY KATE DICAMILLO

Published by Candlewick Press, 2006, Hardback, 200 pgs

I'm always on the lookout for engaging children's books, especially since I'm encouraging a seven year old to read. In trying to participate in #ReadKidsLit for November, featured on YouTube by Leslie from Words of a Reader channel, I was browsing titles at my library. The wonderful Hannah Lamb (whose channel is also her name) loves Kate DiCamillo, and that has further encouraged me to pick up her work.

After reading the first page, I stopped until my daughter, Natalie, could get home from school. The beautiful illustrations and the connection between this little girl's "pet rabbit" is similar to my daughter's love for her ratty old stuffed cat. We follow Edward Tulane, an arrogant china rabbit who belongs to a sweet, attentive 10 year old named Abilene. Every morning, she sits him in a chair facing the window with a watch on his leg- so that he will be able to know the exact time and see her return from school at 3:00pm. Edward is not grateful to be owned by the doting Abilene, and often finds her conversations boring and insubstantial. He wishes for greater adventures and more self-satisfaction. Through various circumstances, he unintentionally gets his wish to travel and have life experiences. With these positive and negative experiences, his attitudes towards love and friendship evolve.

This is a wonderful story about appreciation for life and love, and teaches children not to take things for granted. There were some deeply sad moments, and I cringed a lot at some truly callous adult behavior. Unfortunately, this is the world we live in, and Di Camillo gives a realistic representation. I think Natalie was a little young for a couple scenes, but they were easily glossed over. I also edited out a brief part about a drunk man for when she's older and has more context. I was very impressed with Kate Di Camillo's writing and storytelling. It's so engaging, and you get the added benefit of teaching valuable lessons to kids.


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patti, I tried to subscribe to your blog, but I was taken to a page of gobbledygook. I'd love to hear what you have to say about what you are reading. Linda Johnson tcheer4life@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete