Wednesday, November 11, 2015

REVIEW: THE LEFT HAND OF DARKNESS BY URSULA K. LE GUIN

Published by Ace, 2010 (first published in 1969). Paperback, 304 pgs

I was lucky enough to buddy read this with a fellow Booktuber, Otavio from the Galilean Library. I have heard nothing but great things about this science fiction award winner for ages. This is also my first Ursula K. Le Guin novel. The reader primarily follows Mr. Ai, who is an envoy sent to planet Winter (specifically the nation Karhide, city of Erhenrang) in hopes of forming an alliance between the Ekumen (his people) and Gethenian people. The book opens on a parade held in the capital city of Erhenrang to celebrate the completion of an arch, where we meet King Argaven briefly. We also meet Estraven, the Prime Minister of Erhenrang, whose narrative quickly becomes entangled with Ai's in a jumbled mess of power plays and general strife. Sorry for all the names, but it's that type of book so you need to know what you're getting into!

From the beginning, you can feel the political tension and tip-toeing that Ai experiences in his mission. Le Guin has created a rich and thorough world with detailed history, geography, and beliefs. I liked the cold weather setting. It is so bitter and varied that the inhabitants have over sixty terms to describe the type of snowfall. That's my kind of place (no, I'm not being sarcastic!) Give me all the snow! Her commentary on society, particularly how urban structure affects us (advanced vs. developing regions) is accurate to what many people in various nations feel today. There is some great dialogue on patriotism being more about fear than love in the beginning of the story. She addresses the role of religions in these places, and how being gender neutral hinders yet also expands their capacity as human beings. She packs quite a bit in the 304 pages! 

My favorite part was the evolving relationship of Estraven and Ai. I don't want to say more because their development is a key part of the story. My least favorite parts were some of the interludes. While they provide additional anecdotes on culture, I found certain ones (like "An Orgota Creation Myth") that just felt tedious and a little confusing. However, I suppose a lot of traditions are shrouded in myth and don't make a ton of sense.

This is a book that would benefit from a reread due to all the nuances in political strife and culture. I can certainly understand why this book was an achievement, and am happy to soundly recommend it to all science fiction lovers. My rating of three versus four stars was strictly a personal preference, and I can't even pinpoint what I'd have the author change to make it better. It just didn't resonate as strongly with me as I'd hoped. For whatever reason (mood, plot, pacing), I found myself zoning out and being a little anxious to finish. I've also been reading slower this month due to distractions so that could be part of it. I appreciate Le Guin's mastery of the genre and can see why she is held in such high esteem.



No comments:

Post a Comment