Monday, September 12, 2016

REVIEW: BURIAL RITES BY HANNAH KENT

Published by Back Bay Books/imprint of Little, Brown and Company, 2013. Paperback, 319 pgs
Goodreads Description
      Kent is amazing. Certainly one of my favorite titles of the year, this brilliant historical fiction narrative was filled with incredible atmosphere and writing. I loved the attention grabbing intro- with pertinent info on Icelandic names and pronunciation, and a haunting prologue from the condemned woman that left my arms prickly with goosebumps.
     I realize "emotional" is an overused review word, but it's the perfect summation of how this made me feel. I was deeply sad throughout this account, feeling so connected to Agnes's hardships that I vicariously experienced her lonely, cruel, harsh upbringing, and the fear of her impending execution. When Agnes is thinking of the daughter of the family she's sent to stay with prior to her death: "She is not like me. She knows only the tree of life. She has not seen it's twisted roots pawing stones and coffins."  The ledger of her meager possessions put up for auction made me tear up. Meanwhile, my real-life stress today concerned apps not properly loading on my Iphone- #firstworldproblems, #blessed, #perspective.
       This is the first story I've read centered in Iceland. Fun fact for all book worms: Iceland has more books published, more books read, and more writers per head than anywhere else in the world. A true historical record reveals Agnes Magnusdottir was well-versed in sagas and poetry. This work is filled with tons of moral topics and insights into the human condition- making it an exceptional book club pick.
       The included conversation with the author in my edition- about her writing process, interest in the topic, and general research- added anecdotal info to an already strong novel. I'm thrilled to see that her second book, The Good People, will be available in the US February 2017. Geraldine Brooks provided my favorite backcover blurb "An original new voice, with a deep and lovely grasp of language and story." So, so true. Agnes's plight will haunt me for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment