Sunday, May 22, 2016

REVIEW: MAD SHIP (LIVESHIP TRADERS #2) BY ROBIN HOBB

Published by Del Rey, 2014. Mass Market Paperback, 850 pgs

      In this installment, a ship gets mad!!! See what I did there??! Here I go again.... sounding like a broken record. Robin Hobb's fantasy writing is simply perfection. I will try my hardest to provide examples of her greatness with minimal gushing (no promises).
       In an attempt to remain spoiler-free, the changes in ship ownership and status have left everyone unsure of their place. The Vestrit family fortune is on the line as Vivacia hasn't returned to port. The old traders of Bingtown are facing hardships due to tariffs and the Satrap's neglect.
        The characters continue to delight! I enjoyed Kennit's complexity because my feelings were constantly shifting, even if he remained mostly detestable. Malta's evolution was also interesting, with her changing priorities and perception of events as she aged. Speaking of perception, I liked the scenes where Paragon was being outfitted to sail. While his past is shameful, restoring his image as a proud ship is intended to represent optimistic renewal as a liveship. A "fake it until you make it" of sorts.
       Althea's character arc is a study in the struggle of gender roles. She's desperate to be a sailor, without the societal expectation of staying at home and having babies while her husband is at sea. However, she still wants the normal experience of being in love. I understood her harshness, but also appreciated her honesty in dealing with those she couldn't please. 
     Hobb continues the cryptic revelations of the serpent tangle, with their quest to find memories and rebirth from "She Who Remembers". I know this element will be tied in to the Liveship and Bingtown quest somehow, because Hobb always has a purpose for each story thread. I like the small glimpses we get of Selden, the young Vestrit brother who seems to be in the shadows. I loved finally hearing about the Rain Wild Forests in magical detail.
      It's sad to approach the end of the trilogy, even though I have more of Hobb's books on my shelves.    The story is still enthralling. Every character and theme continues to be fleshed out. I'm going to take a break and read another novel before this series conclusion, but another win for my favorite author!

No comments:

Post a Comment