Wednesday, April 6, 2016

REVIEW: THE GIRL FROM HOME BY ADAM MITZNER

DISCLAIMER: I was sent a copy of this book for review by FSBMedia. All opinions are my own.
Published by Gallery Books, (an imprint of Simon & Schuster), April 5, 2016. Hardcover, 336 pgs

       The timing of this review request was funny, because I'd been reading my first thriller in a long time, Killing Floor by Lee Child. This used to be my primary, go-to genre before Literary Fiction and Fantasy. It was great fun returning to an old favorite, especially since this is set in one of my favorites places to visit-New York City, as well as being a financial-based thriller.
      
       The story centers on Jonathan Caine, a previously successful Hedge fund manager who wines and dines upper-echelon investors. We know he has landed in heaps of trouble, as the first page finds him musing in a prison cell. The story then details the months prior to his predicament, where we find out delightful details about his greedy lifestyle and "I want what I want" rich boy mentality. There is no pretense at innocence, which I appreciated. The immediate aftermath of the scandal finds him back home visiting his dad, where he reconnects with Jackie, the out-of-his-league Prom Queen at his 25th High School Reunion. She becomes the second conflict in the story, and the narrative goes forward from there.
Sidenote:  The scene featuring the high school reunion was startling, awaiting me sooner than I'd like to admit. The uncomfortable realization that the middle-aged people present aren't teachers, but fellow classmates, isn't something I'm looking forward to. Also, losing contact with people except for the occasional Facebook like and annual obligatory Happy Birthday message is 100% my reality.
       
        At it's core, this book is about ambition, the choices we make, and the repercussions of relationships (both good and bad). Oh, and major manipulation. Here's my conflict. I love strong characters. I don't mind unlikable characters if they're interesting and compelling enough for me to be invested. With Jackie and Jonathan, I was disappointed in lack of character development. They often had very stereotypical adulterous interactions, with her angry and dumb ex-husband thrown in occasionally. Jonathan is also supposedly seeking to reconnect with his family, visiting his father in a nursing home. I kept waiting for genuine heart to hearts that never materialized. Mitzner could have been making a social commentary that people don't change, but it felt more like he was trying to show improvement that simply fell short of the mark. Hmmm. So this will provoke thought, but I just wanted to care more about their problems. 
    
        I flew through the last seventy five pages, and loved the legal power plays and last minute twists. I would be interested in more from this author, especially to see how his characters compare in other stories. I recommend this for people who love fast-paced narratives with interesting financial components and courtroom drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment