Saturday, September 26, 2015

REVIEW: SOULLESS BY GAIL CARRIGER

Published by Orbit, 2009. Mass Market Paperback, 373 pgs.

      I went into this with a bit of trepidation. I have a bad track record when it comes to vampire novels. The Sookie Stackhouse books and Twilight were a struggle for me. That, combined with the positive hype from YouTube, made me nervous. Quite pleased that this was a total blast! I love the character of Alexia Tarrabotti- an assertive spinster who is well-read, enjoys her tea and a good meal, carries a Parasol, demands proper manners from her male companions, and just happens to be Soulless. Being Soulless means she can neutralize those with an over-abundance of soul, namely werewolves and vampires. The relationship she develops with a werewolf was one of my favorite narratives throughout the story, and I usually don't like romantic elements in books. I appreciated how cheeky Carriger was with her supernatural creatures- infusing witty humor into most of the story. Tarrabotti's family was such a funny crew, and I loved the inclusion of Queen Victoria. Also, Gail Carriger's author blurb is fantastic and worth a look! Overall, this was super fun and there was a great setup for the other books in the series. I look forward to reading Changeless soon!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good book. I have been passing this one up at the book stores but now I might have to reconsider that.

    ReplyDelete